Sunday, May 24, 2009
The Garden
So, I had to do two posts since there's been a lot that's happened since March. Like I said in the last post, I've started a garden. I planted radish's, carrot's, pea's, squash, watermelon, tomato's, peppers, and strawberries. Although it sounds like a lot, really, I just have one or two plants of all but the carrots, radishes, and peas, which I've grown from seeds. Also, the flowers that I have been so delicately tending to finally grew a bloom... just one of the 15+ iris' that I transplanted from the front yard to the back yard flowered so far this year. None of them flowered last year and I was devastated. So, upon seeing the stalk of a bloom coming up out of one of the plants, I was ecstatic. I've been watching it now for about a week and saw that it grew 5 blooms on one stalk and the very top flower was yellow and ready to open. This weekend, as Taylor and I were weeding the flower bed, I showed him the flower and said "see mommy's flower?" and touched it softly. He, of course, wanted to touch it as well. I thought it would be harmless... and had a horrible thought cross my mind... "what if he broke this bloom off that I worked two years to make? Nah, couldn't happen. So, go ahead, touch the bloom, gently. As this was about to occur, Taylor tripped on the pavers around the edge of the bed and grabbed the stalk for balance... it didn't hold up. He broke off the very top two blooms that would've opened the very next day. I was devastated and almost cried, but not really. I was heart broken, though, and the pictures below show the depressing aftermath.




Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your back! I can totally empathize with the working Mom's plight. Hope you're not losing your mind (and glad to know I'm not the only one who now considers toys pushed to the edge of the room as "clean" and cereal as "dinner". I'm planting my garden this week. I may be calling you for tips.
Good to see you stranger! Looks like loads of fun...for Linda. I didn't see any stuffed wildlife when I came to see you. Love Taylor's water wear. I'm just impressed with your attempt to garden, mine have never been real successful - we're working on pumpkins now. Much to Wyatt's disappointment, I don't think they'll be like the ones on the package. Got any working mom's guilt yet? Leah and I were discussing our first annual "girls weekend", you still in?
Post a Comment